4.08.2005

des prof, consume.

Sometimes I kinda feel like my design profs are the most opinionated and nit picky people I've ever met. Not that I don't like them, they're great. I do think they know what they're talking about most of the time, even if most of the time I sorta feel like they're talking AT me and not TO me. And they're pretty amusing in a really honest straight forward kinda way. They're also really passionate and serious about what they do. But I dunno, I guess it's just that I've never really had teachers like that before.

My typography prof tells us this story: " The first date I had with my husband (before we were married) we were at the movies and there were these guys on screen wearing ARMY shirts. He leans over and whispers 'There's too much space between the R and the M.' And that's when I knew this was the man for me." That's so cute, in a weird sorta way.

My photography prof is one of the most talkative men I've ever met. He tells all sorts of stories and things. He says (something along these lines): " Getting into design is a life long commitment. When you get home from a design job you can't just stop thinking about design. And that will make you an intolerable person to live with, I'm warning you now. If your partner doesn't understand you're going to have lots of problems. Towels, curtains, dishes, silverware, placemats, it doesn't matter what it is. You'll never be able to buy anything that doesn't meet up with your design standards and have endless arguments about it. And if your mother in law buys you a paisley table cloth you'll have to hide it from your other design friends when they come over."

It's not really just a design thing, but I suppose it makes sense that it'd be especially true for people that design stuff. But it's also really depressing cause I really don't want to be like that. I really don't want to care that much about shit like that cause I know there are more important things. I try to fight it off, but I can slowly feel it happening... I really need to stop.

And now for some favorite Fight Club quotes:
"What kind of dining set defines me as a person?"
"The things you own end up owning you."
"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis."

and of course, a video: from PSYOP, the PSYOP Anthem. Not really a music video, but it fit with this so well...

currently listening to: SXSW mix

1 Comments:

At 4/11/2005 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno... come to think of it... if you DESIGN your khakis or understand the elements about them that make them significant to you, then you ARE your fucking khakis, aren't you? What the hell is the difference between basing your life around aethsetics and basing your life around, say, religion? Its when you can't control what you buy or why you buy it that its a problem. Or at least thats how I see it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger