4.11.2005

built around experience.

So, Neal made a comment , but instead of rambling on in the comment box, I thought I'd just go ahead and make a post out of it just cause I feel like it

I agree that if you are designing/making your own stuff, that really IS part of you cause you're directly a part of it's existence. And that is cool. (But really, when was the last time you designed a pair of khakis). Really basing your life around aesthetics seems really superficial, cause it seems like all that matters in life is beauty. I suppose basing your life around religion is at least (sometimes) philisophical or spiritual. At least with religion people are trying to find some meaning in their life. Something greater than deciding what color iPod socks match your Chuck Taylors.

Of course, I know I am always the hypocrite. Being in the art department does sort of make me part of that "life of aesthetics" circle. I spend half of my week working on trying to make non-ugly letter forms and the other half of my week taking (hopefully interesting) non-ugly photos ( I don't wanna use the word "pretty", cause that's not really what it's about at all). I know that in the end they're all pretty useless and do nothing for anyone, aside from maybe make me more anal. Also, In the past two weeks alone I have spent over $100 on new clothes* that I really don't need. Which is my main problem, well not specificly the buying new clothes thing. It's more the fact that I still can't seem to get my ideologies to match up with reality.(but that's another post) Is it weird that something like shopping can be more an issue of ideology than anything?

Anyways, I also don't care much for religion. So I actually wouldn't base my life around either or those things. I guess being raised Buddhist has some effect on me, but I don't base my life around it. Makes me kinda wonder though. I'd say most people in this country do really care about their religion** and that's fine and dandy for them. But it's not for me. So, what AM I building my life around?

Learning from experiences, i guess. Cause I most of my thinking is based on my past experiences, and the experiences of others I suppose. Being the youngest in the family means lots of learning vicariously through lots of stories from siblings and cousins. And most of my decisionsare based on my desire to experience stuff. I do things just to see what it's like. Go places. See things. Do things. To have interesting things to store in my memory. And maybe creating stuff. I'd say most of the things on my life to do list involve making something. I have a strange desire to constantly pour my heart into making something. Maybe cause I think things I make really ARE bits of myself.

And this is all much longer than it really should have been. Especially when I should have been working on those non-ugly letters of mine.

oh, and side note: totally got a raise! Yay!

* This pair of underwear from American Apparel is THE softest and most comfortable thing to ever clad my girly parts! And the skirt I got from Express the other day is simply fantastic. If only it was warm enough to wear it.
** See the map

watch: The Decemberist's Sixteen Military Wives (Super fantastic high quality too!)
listen: Beck's Guero album is fantastic x 100.

7 Comments:

At 4/12/2005 8:06 AM, Blogger WDV said...

yeah, the decemberists video is incredible!

 
At 4/12/2005 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's a good video (sorry we're both missing the point of the post. Oh, well). For extra credit, did you recognize Death Cab for Cutie guitarist Chris Walla as the reporter and The Long Winters frontman John Roderick as the professor? Incestuous indie fun.

 
At 4/12/2005 3:28 PM, Blogger Zach said...

Very interesting response there. That video is wonderful. I guess I'm not incestuous to have known what the death cab drummer or long winters frontman look like, but that is really awesome. Oh, and that beck album I also really enjoy (i didnt expect i would so much).

 
At 4/13/2005 5:53 AM, Blogger WDV said...

right on, zach. i got no clue what they look like, but good point mike.

 
At 4/14/2005 1:18 AM, Blogger jayne said...

crazy awesome indie incest!

 
At 4/14/2005 5:49 AM, Blogger WDV said...

lol, indeed, jayne.

 
At 4/16/2005 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you understand. For some people, aethsetics ARE spiritual. Especially if you're the one in charge of them. Thats why so many people base their lifes around art. To say art or design is not a good thing to base your life around... just seems silly to me. Whats wrong with creating beauty? I've always felt that the creative process is far more liberating than any philosophy or religion. They all seem to go together to me. However, there IS a difference between art & design, and just simple consumerism. Usually you don't take pictures "because they're pretty", but because they somehow liberate you. You shouldn't be doing design unless you feel like you are contributing in some positive way to the culture. Aethsetics are HUGELY important. What would this world be without art?

There's a huge difference between making and consuming. I mean, hopefully the things you buy fit who you are, instead of trying to mold who you are. If you can't control yourself from buying things then maybe its a problem, but there's nothing wrong with saying "I like how these pants look on me, I think I'll get them" because they DO contribute to who you are. As long as you AREN'T your fucking kahkis, I don't see anything wrong with it. There's a huge difference between products shaping who you are, and you shaping the products to who you are. Comprende?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger