4.19.2005

query

I was going to go into this long rant about why I don't really believe in history, but I can't seem to word things right tonight... so for now I'll just say the fact that history and myth are closer relatives than they should be is really bothering me lately. I know it's kind of a weird thing to be worried about on a Monday night.

Also, a query: When there's a cool kid in your class that you think would be fun to hang out with, but they're still pretty much just academic aquaintances, how do you go about asking them initially without it sounding like you're hitting on them or something? I know this is also a weird thing to worry about, but I don't think I ever really mastered this set of social skills (along with several others).

i dunno. mondays are strange.

also, today's Qwantz comic totally sums up my shopping issues.

watch:RJD2: 1976 (another fav from this past weekend. Also a good song)
listen: Gorillaz - Demon Days. I think it's better than their first album.

2 Comments:

At 4/19/2005 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

re: query: Hahahaha. I don't think there really is (initially) a difference between hitting on them and just trying to hang out with them. If it's a girl, it's unlikely that she'll perceive sudden, increased attention as being hit on. If it's a guy, (casually) hitting on them is probably about the way to go, as long as your (non-sexual) intentions are clear.

As for me, when I'm trying to chat up girls I don't know or don't know very well, I use much the same skills, anecdotes, etc. as if I were hitting on them, but I'm careful to mention my girlfriend semi-frequently to make sure we're all on the same page. After all (aside from sleezy, cliched bar stuff) hitting on someone is, almost by definition, the most concentrated method we have developed for conveying a lot of information about ourselves in a short period of time and convincing others to like us, Your mileage may vary.

 
At 4/20/2005 12:11 AM, Blogger jayne said...

yeah, but that makes things confusing. Like when single people are being nice to me I can't really tell if they're into me. 4 outta 5 times I'm wrong and they're just being friendly.

I don't have issues with straight up myths, because at least they're not claiming to be totally true. history bothers me because it's so ... shaped by politics that it seems more like myth being passed as fact. I mean, obviously things that really happened in the past are true, but the way these events are selectively (and often incorrectly) retold to create like a unified national legacy bothers me. I dunno, we've been talking about it in class lately and it's weird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger